Protected Veterans Services
Protected Veterans Definitions
means active military duty and does not include active duty for training, initial active duty for training, or inactive duty for training.
means an individual who has:
- been separated or retired from the armed forces under honorable conditions; and
- established the existence of a service-connected disability or is receiving compensation,
disability retirement benefits, or pension because of a public statute administered by the
federal Department of Veterans Affairs or a military department.
- Any individual who has served on active duty in the armed forces for more than 180 consecutive days, or was a member of a reserve component who served in a campaign or expedition for which a campaign medal has been authorized and who has been separated under honorable conditions
- a disabled veteran with any percentage of disability
- the spouse or unmarried widow or widower of a veteran
- a Purple Heart recipient
- or a retired member of the armed forces who retired below the rank of major or its equivalent.
means an individual who has served on active duty in the armed forces for more than 180 consecutive days, or was a member of a reserve component who served in a campaign or expedition for which a campaign medal has been authorized and who has been separated or retired under honorable conditions; or any person incurring an actual service-related injury or disability whether or not that person completed 180 days of active duty.
Veterans' Preference Procedure
For applicants who establish “preference eligibility,” preference will be given in the search process, provided the applicant meets minimum qualifications for the job and must follow the outlined procedure. If you desire to claim veterans’ preference please complete the Addendum to The University of Utah Application for Employment.