Disability Access & Accommodation

Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act (ADA) and Sections 504 and 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1972 (Sections 503 & 504)

University policy, the ADA, and Sections 504 & 503, prohibit discrimination on the basis of a person’s status as a person with a disability, require equal opportunity and access, a process for a person with a disability to request a reasonable accommodation, and a grievance process for an individual to complain of discrimination. The University endeavors to ensure that its campus and programs are accessible and in compliance with state and federal disability standards and to provide reasonable accommodations so as to remove a barrier that may prevent an individual with a disability from equally participating in academics, employment, or other University program. Reasonable accommodations may include specialized equipment, auxiliary aids, policy modifications, academic adjustments or other accommodation that is effective. University policy, as well as state and federal law, strictly prohibit retaliation against an individual for requesting a disability accommodation, for participating in a disability discrimination complaint process.

The University has designated the following as its ADA/Section 504 Coordinator:

Director, Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action
201 South Presidents Circle, Rm. 135
Salt Lake City, UT 84112
Phone: (801) 581-8365
Fax: (801) 585-5746
Email: oeo@utah.edu

To Request a Reasonable Accommodation for a Disability

The University of Utah provides a process for all employees, applicants (for academic admission or employment) patients, visitors, and other participants in University programs to seek reasonable accommodations for a disability.

Faculty and Staff Accommodations:

Employees of the University of Utah or the Utah State Board of Regents (regardless of full-time, part-time, probationary or regular status) can request a modification or adjustment to job duties, schedule, or work environment or other reasonable accommodations that would enable the employee to perform essential job functions. To request an accommodation:

Fax: (801)585-5746
Email: oeo@utah.edu

Phone:  801-581-6500 
Email:  adarequest@hsc.utah.edu

Patients, Visitors, or other Participants (with the exception of students):
in University Programs may request a reasonable accommodation by contacting the OEO/AA at:

Patients, visitors or other Participants (with the exception of students) may request reasonable accommodations to allow the individual equal access to University programs, services, and facilities. To request an accommodation, employees should complete the Request for Disability Accommodation Form and submit to OEO/AA in person, by fax, or online.  You may also contact our office at:

Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action (OEO/AA)
Phone (801)581-8365
Fax: (801)585-5746
Email: oeo@utah.edu

Student Accommodations:

Students needing ADA accommodations should contact the Center for Disability & Access (CDA).  CDA is dedicated to students with disabilities by providing the opportunity for success and equal access at the University of Utah and is the designated office at the University of Utah which evaluates disability documentation, determines eligibility, and implements reasonable accommodations for enrolled students as guided by Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, and University policy.

Center for Disability & Access (CDA)
Phone: 801-581-5020
Fax: 801-581-5487
Email: info@disability.utah.edu